May 6, 2019
Welcome to Finance and Fury
Have you ever thought about What would you do if you won the
What would you do with it? This depends on many things: the
size, type of lifestyle, and how much you value money now.
- Talk about how winners end up with no money
- The tricks and psychology used to make people buy tickets
Who plays the lotto?
- 11 million participate in gambling
- 6 million have bought a lotto ticket or scratchie
- 1 million spend more than 10% of their annual earnings
What happens when you win the lotto?
- It can turn out well or not
- It takes time to learn about money beyond how to spend it
- You hear many famous cases of how winners lose their
- These are great cautionary tales
- How should you spend it
Why doesn’t everyone do this?
- Value – not worked for and there is a lot of it. It depends on
- Not planned for – it is a lot of money in one go, it’s an
oversupply or marginal utility.
- Knowing yourself with money, having self-control and knowing
the value of it
- There is a difference between dreaming and planning
- This is how the lotto gets marketed
How to value every dollar?
- Everything has an expected return
- What is an extrinsic value?
- We can calculate the expected return of lotto
- Lotto makes money from keeping people focused on the short
- The losses are long term
- What if you looked at investing that $60 each week?
- 10y - $47,743 - $31,200 of own money - $16,542 growth - 53%
- 20y - $153,931 - $64,400 of own money - $91,531 growth - 147%
- 30y - $390,112 - $93,600 of own money - $296,512 growth - 317%
Why isn’t this popular?
- Investing is too long of a time frame
- How does dopamine change things?
- What is the expected value for investing?
- How do you get the same feeling of the payoff from long term
- This is about generating your own wealth where the odds are in
- What would you do once you win the lotto?
Thanks for listening, if you want to get in contact you can do